Dirty Looks: Eight Years On
Dirty Looks is a platform for queer film, video, and performance that has toured museums and galleries around the country. On its eighth anniversary, the ICA presents Dirty Looks: Eight Years On, a retrospective program of signature delights, tracing contemporary queer aesthetics through historical works as well as up-and-coming artists and filmmakers. At once outrageous and touching, experimental and thought-provoking, Dirty Looks offers something for everyone: younger artists, casual viewers and seasoned avant-garde filmgoers alike.
The screening will be followed by a panel discussion and Q&A with Dirty Looks curator Bradford Nordeen and VCU professors Nicole Killian and Mark Boulos.
- Warren Sonbert + Wendy Appel, Amphetamine, 16mm, B&W, 10 min., 1966
- Brontez Purnell, 100 Boyfriends Mixtape (the demo), Super 8 on video, 8min., 2017
- Jill Reiter, Frenzy, Super 8 on digital video, 12min., 1993
- Lila De Magalhaes, Poppers (promo for Xina Xurner), video, 5min., 2013
- Michael Robinson, Onward Lossless Follows, HD video, 17min., 2017
- Chris E. Vargas, Liberaceón, SD video, 13min., 2011
- Aimee Goguen, tongue job, Hi8 on SD video, 4min., 2013
- Mariah Garnett, Encounters I May or May Not Have Had with Peter Berlin, 16mm, 15min., 2012
Dirty Looks: Eight Years On is co-presented by the VCU Institute for Contemporary Art and the departments of Graphic Design, Photo/Film, and Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies.