Interested in joining the ICA team? Visit VCU eJobs to discover current opportunities. Only electronic applications submitted via VCU eJobs will be accepted. Materials sent to the ICA’s staff offices and email accounts will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed until positions are filled or unless otherwise stated. Phone calls and emails to staff are respectfully discouraged.
The Senior Curator will commission, develop, oversee and implement the exhibitions and programs for the ICA. The Senior Curator will be responsible for commissioning new work and working with living artists, as well as championing and stewarding projects through ideation, the full production process, and exhibition.
The Senior Curator will be responsible for forging and maintaining effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, board members, vendors, and ICA staff. They will support, supervise, and evaluate several staff members, which may include a curatorial assistant and interns, and interact with students, faculty, donors, volunteers, and the public.
For more information and a full position description, click here.
Institute for Contemporary Art Graduate Fellowship: Producer, Community Media Center
Driven by a commitment to diversity, inclusion and cultural equity, the ICA at VCU is dedicated to producing and sharing new art and ideas, and to supporting creative communities. The ICA’s program includes artist commissions, exhibitions, film screenings, talks and discussions, publications and performances. It features artists and thinkers from around the world.
Within this context, the ICA is seeking a Graduate Assistant who will work with the Director of Community Media and Institute’s staff. The Assistant will support many aspects of the ICA’s program, particularly related to podcasting and audio initially, with a planned expansion into broader media making (which may include video) to follow. The Graduate Assistant will also assist with research for future use of the Murry DePillars Learning Lab and facilitate educational programming. The Graduate Assistant will support the ICA’s commitment to community engagement in programming, and a range of other responsibilities. Some weekend hours may be required.
The two-year Graduate Assistantship (three year for doctorate) is for the 2021-2023 academic year, running from August 18, 2021 – May, 2023. The Graduate Assistant will work 20 hours per week. Tuition and fee support associated with graduate fellowships and graduate assistantships varies from year to year and by program. Awards typically include the stipend plus university tuition. The Graduate Assistant must be a degree-seeking (master’s or doctorate) student in good standing with no other VCU employment and must be enrolled for credit for a minimum of nine (9) graduate hours in both the fall and spring semesters.
The responsibilities of the position are meant to provide an experience that is of mutual benefit to the ICA and the Graduate Assistant. The ICA Art Graduate Fellowship: Producer, Community Media Center will gain experience in the following areas:
- Multimedia production
- Art education
- Public programming
- Youth media programing
- Knowledge of audio recording equipment and software
- Familiarity with event and education programming
- Demonstrated ability to develop and sustain community relationships
- Interest in acquiring skills in video production
Description of the Job:
- Partner with the Director of the Community Media Center, Chioke I’Anson, and program personnel on the daily operations of the program
- Assist with coordination and execution of live events
- Assist with education programming
- Responsible for training others in how to use the audio production equipment
- Maintain Lab opening and closing, equipment checkout, setup and return, when required
- Provide assistance with operation and instruction of software programs to students and other users when requested within lab environment
- Assist with engineering for booth recordings and production for ad hoc requests
- Manage the rental of recording kits and inspection of equipment upon return
- Collaborate with the Communications staff to create content for social media platforms that promotes the program, facilities and services
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Community Media or appointed designee
Start & End Dates: August 2021 – May 2023 (or May 2024 for PhD)
How to Apply to the Graduate Program:
- Step 1: Review your deadlines (deadline for application is January 15, 2021)
- Step 2: Submit the University Graduate Application to VCU
- Step 3: Submit your official transcripts & test scores if required
- Step 4: Submit required materials to your major
- Step 5: An application for the fellowship will be shared with you by Courtnie Wolfgang, Graduate Program Director of Art Education
The ICA offers a variety of work-study positions for students with federal work-study awards. Opportunities will be posted on VCU’s Career Services HireRams site.
For more information or to apply, visit HireRams.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.